Friday, December 8, 2006

louie louie

I am thinking of starting another blog, this one focused on contemplative awareness in everyday life and drawing especially from how I know Thomas Merton.

This would be a more serious blog, not just off the cuff, and at least inadvertantly, not so personal - but would require deeper thought and meditation. Among other things, I would like to examine better the way Merton took his strong grounding in a Christian (and particularly Catholic) understanding of the world/life toward a Zen awareness. I would like to explore the interpenetration of every day life, ordinariness, and spiritual awakening.

What do you think? I still have a wide variety of interests that I seem to want to say something about (from architecture to food!), but it is contemplative awareness, being a monk in the world, that is the one theme that is constant and persistant. I wonder if I would go deeper, or just burn out? Would it be a way to rein myself in some?

6 comments:

  1. Sounds great, Beth! I would really enjoy such a blog. As you know, I too am deeply drawn to Merton's writings and way of thinking.

    But why rein yourself in? You write beautifully, and have a lot to say. You go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to echo Sally's comments. Not sure why you feel a need to rein yourself in. On your other blog you have had much worthwhile to say about a lot of different things. But a blog like this promises to be...well, I'm sure I'll enjoy this ride too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. just wondering why Thomas wasn't a mystic....
    Grace & Peace,
    Monkboy

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for the encouragement, Sally and Antony. We'll see how this goes.

    As for Merton being a mystic, I guess it depends on how you define "mystic". I know Merton as a man who was not much interested in otherworldly or esoteric religion. His attention was firmly centered in the ordinary experience of ordinary human beings. That was mystery enough for him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just wrote a long comment encouraging you to undertake the blogging. Suddenly it was gone. I find such an experience deflating because I used a "happening" today on my way home from Nettles Island to encourage you. But, yes, do it for yourself and those of us who would benefit from your contemplative nature.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for starting this blog. I'll be reading it from the very beginning. I have recently discovered Merton and desire to learn as much as I can about him; this will be a wonderful resource for me. I'm grateful for it.

    ReplyDelete

Amounting to Nothing, Brother Paul

  Brother Paul Quenon, Photo by Rhonda J. Miller .  Sorry monk that I am, I never amounted to nothing. Somebody must have laid a curse on me...