Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Chant to be Used in Processions around a Site with Furnaces




On the 70th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz.


Thomas Merton: Chant to be Used in Processions around a Site with Furnaces

How we made them sleep and purified them
How we perfectly cleaned up the people and worked a big heater
I was the commander I made improvements and installed a guaranteed system taking account of human weakness I purified and I remained decent
How I commanded I made cleaning appointments and then I made the travellers sleep and after that I made soap

I was born into a Catholic family but as these people were not going to need a priest I did not become a priest I installed a perfectly good machine it gave satisfaction to many

Read the rest HERE

5 comments:

  1. My immediate reaction: speechless. Then, sad--that this happened and happens in a world I know and live in. And that we continue to deny this happens, or we see that this happens and are overwhelmed by the weight of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After listening to the chant, I went to this site with its wonderful photographs: http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/01/27/staying-put-and-bearing-witness-to-the-holocaust/?_r=0#

      Delete
    2. thanks, James. Excellent article and photos.

      Delete
  2. 2cents _____________

    is this not we do,religion,politics and personal views of
    who has the best god or culture - but wait that's not me
    its the person over there -

    Blessings __________________________ boK

    ReplyDelete

Amounting to Nothing, Brother Paul

  Brother Paul Quenon, Photo by Rhonda J. Miller .  Sorry monk that I am, I never amounted to nothing. Somebody must have laid a curse on me...