Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Hagar's Prayer

Clear Vision
Inspired by Genesis 21:8-21
By Lauren Wright Pittman
 

Hagar's Prayer*

    by Trisha Arlin  

      Blessed One-ness, Breathing Existence,

I once was Sarah:Rich,Loved,Able to laugh at everything,Even God,Especially God.I had a place, a home, a mission.

But now I'm Hagar:Broke,Alone,About to cry at everything,Even God.Especially God.Wandering, in the desert, hungry. 

This is my fault.I should have seen this comingI should have protected myself,I refused to accurately assess my situation.Oh, the fantasies I had of love and success.

No! This is Sarah's fault,She, with her connectionsAnd her covenantAnd no room for anyone else.Oh, the promises she made when she needed me.

No, this is Abraham's fault!He pretends to have no agencyBut he's the one with the money and the power,He's the one who talks to God (or so he says).Oh, the bullshit he slings about destiny.

All I have now is a cat named IshmaelAnd he expects to be fedAnd watered.Meow Meow, he's starving.I can't look at him,Oh, I can't watch him die.All I can do is pray.

Blessed One-nessBreathing Existence,Send me a social workerOr food stampsOr a lotto ticketOr friendsOr a magical flowing spring of plenty that pours out from the rocks.

Or something.Amen. 
*Originally Printed in Journal of Feminist Studies In Religion: #35, 1

5 comments:

  1. Thank]you Beth *

    O Hagar Hagar! for Gods sake
    pull your self together
    and realize that this
    is the human condition
    and become your own savior
    alas everything dies
    Amen *

    Happy blessings ____________________

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bob*

      Don't listen to him, Hagar,
      Fall apart!
      Cry out with your Grief.
      Rage.
      Blither and Blather as much as you need to.
      Life is Rough.
      Tell it like it is.
      Amen.*

      blessings.

      Delete
  2. thankyou thankyou

    Perhaps a food stamp card for Ishmael
    will arrive very soon , let us pray Amen Amen
    you could say that,s really the cats meow -

    Happy happy

    ReplyDelete
  3. thankyoubob.

    Amen, amen
    Breathing Existance,
    Hear the cry of Hagar
    And bring HOPE
    (and a respite from the bombing)
    to the daughters & sons of Ishmael.

    happy sad happy sad


    ReplyDelete
  4. yess yess

    there is more politics
    then we can use
    and
    more religion than ones need -
    so being sandwiched
    between Hope and Poop
    is enough to make a cat lament !
    but
    there is kindness _

    so this poem of some time back when

    KATZ______________________

    My precious
    kat!

    My kat
    most precious!

    No friends
    could be
    more better!

    We prowl
    dumpsters
    in the night!

    Cough hairballs
    up together!

    amenamen_Dom



    ReplyDelete

Amounting to Nothing, Brother Paul

  Brother Paul Quenon, Photo by Rhonda J. Miller .  Sorry monk that I am, I never amounted to nothing. Somebody must have laid a curse on me...