Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Two Anniversaries

Painting of Thomas Merton by Jim Nally
one light
one ray and it will be the angels' spring: one flash
one glance upon the shiny pond
and then asperges me! Sweet widerness
and lo! we are redeemed!
-- Thomas Merton (Christmas 1966)

Today is the 45th anniversary of the death of Thomas Merton -- and the 72nd anniversary of his arrival at the Abbey of Gethsemani to begin monastic life.

HT: Jim Forest

Below are some posts where Merton's death is discussed in this blog. It is an eclectic collection, as is this entire blog. 

Merton's Last Words (December 10, 2012)

2 comments:

  1. The above portrait of Fr. Louis was painted by Jim NALLY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I didn't think it looked like a Cantrell work. I will correct it.

      Delete

The Good Shepherd’s commitments to us

Photo (by me) from the Basilica of Sts. Cosmos and Damian, Roma HT to John Predmore SJ for the following: I would like to talk about God’s ...