Monday, September 28, 2009

the shadows serve You ...

Photo by Thomas Merton
Winter view of fields and distant hills

The things of Time are in connivance with eternity. The shadows serve You. The beasts sing to You before they pass away. The solid hills shall vanish like a worn out garment. All things change and die and disappear. Questions arrive, assume their actuality, and disappear. In this hour I shall cease to ask them and silence shall be my answer. The world that Your love created, that the heat has distorted, that my mind is always misinterpreting, shall cease to interfere with our voices.

-- Thomas Merton, quoted in Dialogues with Silence, edited by Jonathan Montaldo, originally from the Sign of Jonas

HT: barefoot toward the Light

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Good Shepherd’s commitments to us

Photo (by me) from the Basilica of Sts. Cosmos and Damian, Roma HT to John Predmore SJ for the following: I would like to talk about God’s ...