Tuesday, November 27, 2012

humility

"To have humility is to experience reality, not in relation to ourselves, but in its sacred independence.  It is to see, judge, and act from the point of rest in ourselves.  Then, how much disappears, and all that remains falls into place.

"In the point of rest at the center of our being, we encounter a world where all things are at rest in the same way.  Then a tree becomes a mystery, a cloud a revelation, each man a cosmos of whose riches we can only catch glimpses.  The life of simplicity is simple, but it opens to us a book in which we never get beyond the first syllable."

- Dag Hammarskjold, "Markings", p. 174

3 comments:

  1. Love this man and love this quote.Thanks and Blessings Beth :-))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, the first time I came across Dag Hammaskjold's "Markings" (way back in the 1970s) I knew that I had come across a kindred spirit. Contemplatives tend to recognize each other across distance and time. THanks, Phil!

      Delete
  2. I don't know what happened to Robert's comment here, but I just want to say THANKS for all those Dag Hammarskjold references. I'm definitely following up on these.

    ReplyDelete

Amounting to Nothing, Brother Paul

  Brother Paul Quenon, Photo by Rhonda J. Miller .  Sorry monk that I am, I never amounted to nothing. Somebody must have laid a curse on me...