Thursday, December 22, 2011

psalm

Robert Lax, Photo by Hartmut Geerken 
This seems to be Lax's version of Merton's I don't know where I'm going prayer.  I just discovered it yesterday in Murray Bodo's book, "Mystics: Ten Who Show Us the Ways of God".
I am here for you.  I have no other person to be here for and no other reason to be here.  I am here at your disposal.  Your disposition.  I have no desire except to do what you'd have me do.  I have heard of other desires.  I haven't heard of any that mean as much to me as that.  Haven't heard of any that would mean as much to me as knowing I was doing what you wanted me to do.  Or even not knowing I was doing it.  Simply doing it.

Why would I wish so much to do what you'd want me to?  Only because I think I was made for that purpose.  To listen & do.  To get my mind clear enough to listen & do then do what I hear I should do.  How do I know that the voice I'd hear would be yours?  How can I know that the thing I should do is a good one?

I'd know because there is something I know about you.  I know that you love me.  I know that the things you tell me to do are from love.  You don't tell me to kill.  You don't tell me to die.  You tell me to love.  You tell me to do the things love does.  You show me the way.
- Robert Lax, Psalm,  (Zurich, Switzerland.  Pendo, 1991), pp 8, 10

4 comments:

  1. Thank you Beth ! It is a beautiful prayer. I think we can all recite it in confidence. I just checked out your other blog. It is really nice. Your Olean cabin post is neat. I also like to discover historical sites (like visiting Robert Frost's cabin in VT).

    I pray that you, your family and friends have a Blessed Christmas season! Keep on posting !

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, Brian. And though I'm in a Xmas funk this year (trying to hide from all the "merriment") I do wish you and your family and everyone a good Xmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. True "food for thought"..
    Thank you so much for sharing these words and all you've posted throughout the year.
    Wishing you a wonderful Christmas..

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you, JofIndia ... I've come to treasure your daily photos of beauty and love on the other side of the world.

    ReplyDelete

Palm Sunday

  Image: "The Mystical Boat", by Odilon Redon On Palm Sunday we reach the quayside.  A great ship is fretting at the moorings, sai...